Monday, May 29, 2017

NATURAL TREATMENT FOR PINK EYE:

Each school year, one of my children inevitably comes down with pink eye.  Sometimes it's hard to know if it is an allergic response, irritation or pink eye.  I always start with some homemade saline eye rinses, which are the same PH as your tears.  They usually report that their eye feels much better immediately afterwards.  The recipe I use is 1/2 cup distilled water (this is important so it is free of any contaminants) and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.  I like pink himalayan salt.  You can use which ever brand you are most comfortable with.  Make sure that all your utensils are perfectly clean, so you are not adding any additional bacteria into the eye.  Any kind of clean medicine dropper can be used to rinse the eyes with the homemade saline.  I like to place about a 1/2 teaspoon in each eye three times on both sides and then repeat this process a few times a day.

If I suspect it is pink eye (especially when it's accompanied by other symptoms from a cold) then I will also give a teaspoon of elderberry (which is a very potent natural antiviral) to combat the part that is viral.  Many times pink eye is caused by a virus and those antibiotic drops would not work to get rid of it anyway.  Obviously if you see that it gets worse or there is discharge from the eye then you should go to your practitioner immediately, since the eyes are so delicate. You always want to play it safe.  Sea salt is antibacterial and can help kill any bacteria in the eye.  I have found this to be a very useful treatment.  Whenever my husband sees me doing this to one of our kids, he always begs to get a turn.  Saline rinses can be very soothing.






                                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment

Boosting Immunity:  some simple strategies I know how easy it is to get caught up in our busy every day lives and forget to do thin...